What is the innovation fund?
The Digital Government Partnership (DGP) Innovation Fund is an annual $5 million contestable fund that invests in digital and data innovation.
The funding round for 2021/22 is now closed.
The innovation fund provides an opportunity for agencies to collaborate and invest in early stage cross-agency pilots and prototypes.
Agencies identify a common problem or opportunity and present the initiative through the DGP Innovation Fund lean canvas.
The innovation fund is administered by the Digital Public Service (DPS) branch at the Department of Internal Affairs.
Governance and support
Oversight of the innovation fund is provided by:
The Digital Government Leadership Group (DGLG)
The DGLG are responsible for supporting the Strategy for a Digital Public Service.
The group will:
- be briefed on shortlisted initiatives and the strategic risks and opportunities they seek to address
- discuss the strategic ‘system’ lessons learnt from the pilots and the system barriers they need to help to remove.
The DGP Innovation Fund officials panel
The panel is made up of cross-agency senior officials. The panel provides advice and recommendations by:
- reviewing and approving applications
- engaging in pitch sessions
- ensuring that successful applications align with the focus areas for 2021/22.