Shared Workspace (SWS)
The Shared Workspace (SWS) is a secure, online collaboration tool for government agencies to share information with each other and with their third party project partners.
The SWS helps your agency achieve better outcomes by allowing specialist groups and networks to share expertise, experience and good practice.
The SWS was primarily designed for project management. It uses SharePoint 2010 software with some customised member management functionality added.
Functional components include:
- document libraries
- wiki library
- announcements list
- contacts list
- events/calendar list
- links list
- discussion board
- customisable permissions
Individual files of up to 100MB can be uploaded to the SWS. Individual sites are limited to a total storage capacity of 7GB, unless additional storage is purchased.
The SWS uses RealMe as its authentication service. All SWS users must have a RealMe login (the all-of-government authentication service) to access their workspace. RealMe provides a higher level of security for all users and 24/7 access to RealMe support.
The Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) provides and manages the service for all eligible government agencies.
The SWS provides a common, secure platform to support online collaboration between government agencies and their partners.
- saves agencies time — reduces the number of separate email lists for different classes of information
- reduces email ‘clutter’ — only SWS members need to access information they require
- retains security — for distribution of information for non-Government agencies
- restricts access — different levels of information for groups of users
- controls versioning of information
- increased collaboration — members from a mix of agencies, non-government and private sector organisations can access the SWS via a secure website browser
- flexibility — no minimum or maximum terms. Access to the workspace is based on the length of the project so billing is pro-rated according the length of subscription.
Te Tari Taiwhenua Department of Internal Affairs
Adopting the service
How to adopt the service:
- Request an application form SWSDIA.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the application form and welcome message template
- Decide the following required information
- the workspace URL
- workspace name
- specific functionality required
- custom libraries and group permissions.
Lead Agency Agreement summary
- Managed Service
Agencies using the service
There are approximately 170 separate shared workspaces operating with 4000 active users. The following are just some of the agencies using this service:
- Accident Compensation Corporation
- Crown Law Office
- Department of Corrections
- Department of Conservation
- Health Quality and Safety Commission
- Inland Revenue
- Internal Affairs
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Justice
- New Zealand Police
- New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- NZ Transport Agency
- State Services Commission
- Statistics New Zealand
- Tertiary Education Commission
- The Treasury
- Waikato District Health Board