Use your cloud plan
Check the cloud plan and affected policies in your organisation — senior managers, business unit leaders and people in other roles all have different responsibilities for using it.
Check for your organisation’s cloud plan
How to follow your organisation’s cloud plan depends on if you’re:
- part of the senior management team
- a leader of a business unit
- in another role in your organisation.
Senior management team
Besides writing the cloud plan, you’re responsible for helping the people in your organisation to use it.
Leaders of business units
Check within your organisation for its cloud plan. Written and approved by your senior management team, the cloud plan ideally emphasises the approaches, instead of specific solutions, you should take when using public cloud services.
Use the cloud plan to bring your organisation’s other policies into line with it.
People in other roles
Check with the leader of your business unit for the policies affected by your organisation’s cloud plan. Follow those policies.
Major themes when using cloud plans
Major themes that come up when using cloud plans are:
- using public cloud services in ways that match your organisation’s business strategies
- knowing the benefits of using public cloud services
- setting up the roadmap for adopting public cloud services
- understanding your organisation’s risk tolerance — this includes the scales and matrices your senior management has approved
- building new skills and operational practices in your organisation
- managing the different cost structure of public cloud services
- defining architectural patterns for public cloud services — such as zero trust architecture as described in the New Zealand Information Security Manual
- enabling identity and access for public cloud services.
Join the Cloud Capabilities Network
Joining the Cloud Capabilities Network is a good way to get help with these areas.
Help with public cloud — the Cloud Capabilities Network
In addition to the information on Digital.govt.nz, the Government Chief Digital Officer has set up a network for learning about using public cloud services.
Your organisation’s senior leadership team should write and approve a cloud plan that focuses on approaches to adopting and using public cloud services.