Government digital standards catalogue
Formerly known as the Government Enterprise Architecture for NZ (GEA-NZ) standards reference, the government digital standards is a catalogue of digital standards and related guidance that can be used by NZ government agencies.
The catalogue supports a responsive and inclusive approach to standards across NZ government agencies and includes a range of international, national and government standards.
About digital standards
The term digital refers to not only information technology. Successful digital outcomes are dependent on more than just technology so the catalogue includes a broad range of subjects using the 4 GEA-NZ reference taxonomies.
These taxonomies have categories for:
- data and information
- applications and software services
The government digital standards catalogue aims to improve government systems and digital services for New Zealanders by helping people understand digital standards and how to meet them.
- Understand and learn how to meet digital standards across a broad range of business and technology categories.
- Access guidance and standards developed in NZ and internationally.
- Integrate services and enable information sharing across the public sector to provide more effective services to New Zealanders.
- Transform government systems and improve digital services for New Zealanders.
Currently the government digital standards catalogue is published as an Excel workbook with multiple worksheets. It is updated monthly as required.
About the worksheets
This section describes each worksheet in the digital standards catalogue workbook.
Read me first
Overview of the workbook and the various worksheets within it.
Use to search for standards. Filters are available on all columns.
Tracks the high level evolution of the standards reference. The most recent changes are listed first.
Standards catalogue status
A full list of the status values and when to apply these to the standards.
Contains a super set of standards, including ones not yet referenced or entries that were invalid.
Contains all the GEA-NZ v3.2 reference taxonomy elements. Since June 2018 it is possible to add sector or industry specific taxonomies if a case is made for it.
Other standards resources
- Standards New Zealand – a business unit within the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, which specialises in managing the development of standards. They also publish and sell NZ, joint Australia-NZ, and international standards
- Stats NZ: Standards and classifications – information about the standards and classifications Stats NZ use and maintain, news about reviews, and tools to help classify and code responses
- Data content standards – data content standards (standards) establish a consistent way for collecting, describing and recording different pieces of information across government (for example, date of birth or street address). The Government Chief Data Steward (GCDS) has the authority to set mandatory standards across government
- Health Information Standards Organisation (HISO) – supports and promotes the development and adoption of fit-for-purpose health information standards for the NZ health system
In this section
- Digital standards principles – definitions of the 8 principles that guide the standards in the digital standards catalogue.
- Digital standards status – descriptions of the status values and when to apply these to the standards.
- Managing changes to the digital standards catalogue – the 3 steps for managing the digital standards in the catalogue.