Data.govt.nz open data catalogue
The data.govt.nz catalogue is an all-of-government data discovery service that helps the public, businesses and other government agencies find thousands of freely usable open datasets released by public sector agencies under open licence.
Data.govt.nz hosts the all-of-government open data catalogue.
Agencies can apply for a publisher account to self-manage their dataset listings. There are options for manual and automated updates of the dataset listings in the catalogue.
Where high quality, machine readable CSV files are provided, an open API (application programming interface) of this data is made available for use.
Simple, machine-readable government tabular datasets can also be hosted in the catalogue.
The Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) provides and manages the service for all eligible government agencies.
The data.govt.nz catalogue service provides a common, secure platform to support the listing and release of open data from government agencies.
The open data catalogue:
- ensures agency open data is discoverable by the widest possible audience for reuse and transparency
- describes data consistently using an open standard metadata schema
- stores agency open data and metadata in a fit for purpose tool rather than on an agency website page
- data APIs can be automatically generated on data.govt.nz when clean machine-readable CSV data is supplied
- security certified and accredited for unrestricted, open data.
Customer support is available via email during normal business days and hours.
Listing dataset metadata is free.
It’s free to use the hosting service for up to 100MB per agency. This allows for smaller data volumes, and prototyping of the open data APIs provided by data.govt.nz.
A cost applies for larger data volumes. Contact the product manager for more information.
Te Tari Taiwhenua Department of Internal Affairs
Adopting the service
Government agencies can publish and update their dataset metadata on the data.govt.nz catalogue by applying for a publisher account.
A publisher account allows you to:
- add dataset metadata to data.govt.nz, and
- edit existing dataset metadata on behalf of your agency.
To opt into the open data hosting service:
- contact the data.govt.nz product manager for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) terms
- review and agree the MOU terms with DIA.
Lead Agency Agreement summary
- Managed Service
- All of Government
Agencies using the service
Over 150 organisations use the service including ACC, Electoral Commission, GNS Science, Te Kawa Mataaho Public Service Commission (PSC), NIWA, Ministry of Social Development, the NZ Defence Force, Reserve Bank of NZ, and the Treasury.