Meet Cabinet’s requirement for public cloud
Cabinet requires government organisations to use public cloud services, when possible, for information systems. This is the NZ government’s Cloud First policy.
Cabinet decisions — public cloud services
In April 2023, Cabinet agreed to a refreshed Cloud First policy.
This policy and previous Cabinet decisions require NZ government organisations to take the following actions before using public cloud services.
Updates to guidance for public cloud services
The links to guidance from this page are current. The Government Chief Digital Officer will be publishing improvements and more information in winter 2023. Check back for updates on this website or by joining the Cloud Capabilities Network.
Move away from on-premise systems and infrastructure
- Adopt public cloud services in preference to traditional information and communications technology (ICT) systems.
- Do not invest in on-premise ICT infrastructure unless information meets specific criteria or is approved by the Government Chief Digital Officer.
Safely store information
- Only store data classified as RESTRICTED or below in a public cloud service, whether it’s hosted onshore or offshore.
- Over time, host RESTRICTED information in a New Zealand-based data centre, where a suitable onshore service exists.
Have and use a cloud plan
- Have a plan for how to use public cloud services in your organisation.
Write and carry out a cloud plan
Te ao Māori perspectives
- Consider te ao Māori perspectives for Māori data when making decisions about adopting cloud services.
- Consider high-level sustainability principles in cloud adoption decisions.
Assess the risks
- Make adoption decisions on a case-by-case basis following a risk assessment.
Risk assessment tool for public cloud services
Create or improve your organisation’s process for assessing risks
Start using public cloud services
Benefits of using public cloud services
How to adopt public cloud services
Public cloud versus other types of cloud
Cabinet minutes and papers for public cloud services
Information system — National Institute of Standards and Technology
Utility links and page information