Assess the risks before using public cloud services
Information, tools and templates to help government organisations in adopting public cloud services on a case-by-case basis, following risk assessments.
Balancing risks and opportunities
Before using public cloud services, the Government Chief Digital Officer (GCDO) supports agencies to balance the opportunities and risks of information systems by:
- providing guidance to help government organisations to develop cloud plans
- working with security agencies to address key security, jurisdictional and social licence concerns
- showcasing examples of early adopters using public cloud services to drive transformation.
Help with public cloud services
In addition to the information on Digital.govt.nz, the GCDO has set up a network for learning about using public cloud services.
Other support for government organisations wanting to buy and use public cloud services includes:
- a centre of excellence to network agency practitioners — encouraging reuse and sharing of good practice
- the GCDO’s negotiation of commercial agreements with cloud providers — allowing government organisations to access their services with a single price book and standard terms and conditions
- a marketplace, being developed — giving government organisations access to a catalogue of public cloud services.
The importance of risk assessments
It’s essential that government organisations assess the risks for all information technologies they adopt.
- Developing a cloud plan
- Risk assessment
- Approach to Cloud Services (Section 2.3) — NZ Information Security Manual
- Cloud Computing (Section 22.1) — NZ Information Security Manual
- Security controls
- Purchasing cloud services
- Key terms for customer agreements
- Case studies and benchmarking
- Guide to optimising network traffic for cloud services
- Increase agility and collaboration by allowing a variety of cloud-based tools
Note — content redesign for public cloud services
Many of these links go to Snapshot.ict.govt.nz. We’re working to redesign and migrate this content to Digital.govt.nz.
Tools and templates
- Cloud Computing: Information Security and Privacy Considerations
- Cloud Service Requirements chart (HTML)
- Cloud Service Requirements chart (DOC 115KB)
- Cloud Risk Assessment Tool (XLSX 89KB) — This is a template, designed to be completed and submitted offline. Contact email@example.com if you need an accessible version.
- Tools that government organisations are using for working remotely