Apply for a domain
You need to prepare a business case for a domain and submit your request online.
If you are developing a new initiative or a new agency is being established, please talk with us as early as possible.
We will talk with you about:
- whether your request meets the eligibility criteria for a .govt.nz or .parliament.nz 3rd level domain
- the suitability of potential names, with a focus on balancing your needs and the needs of your users.
Prepare your application
As part of your application, you need to prepare a business case.
1. Read the information about the types of domain names available
You might need a domain name for a project or initiative, or for a new agency or business unit. A 4th level domain might also meet your needs.
2. Check that your request aligns with the moderation policy
The moderation policy has more information about the .govt.nz name space, and the moderation and registration process.
3. Fill in the application form
The form includes important guidance and context, and will help ensure you have provided enough information for the Moderator to make an informed decision.
Submit your application
Applications need to be submitted online by your Agency User (AU) or Agency Super User (ASU) through the domain name portal.
Applications will be acknowledged within 1 to 2 working days. Please allow up to 15 working days for the application process.
Approval of applications for names is not automatic or guaranteed. Each decision is made case by case.