How to work with subject matter experts
Follow this step-by-step guide to help make working with subject matter experts run smoothly.
Choose your tools
Before you begin, choose a tool for managing drafting, review and sign-off.
You could use:
- Microsoft Word, with the Track Changes and comment functionality
Clarify the role of the SME
Before you talk to the SME, decide:
- Will the SME write content with you?
- Do you want the SME to be able change drafts?
- Do you want the SME to be able to leave comments?
- Who makes a final decision if there is disagreement?
- Will you send all pages together, or 1 at a time?
Get in touch with your expert, and check they’re the best person for the job.
- the project
- the content design and publishing process
- their role
Remind the SME about their role and deadlines when you send the content.
Iterate and publish
Evaluate the suggestions from the SME.
When a suggestion isn’t clear, start a discussion. Provide clear rationale for changes.
Sometimes, you’ll need follow your plan for disagreements.
When you’re both happy with the content, follow your process for publication.
Did you find what you were looking for?
Help improve us the information in this section by doing a short survey.