Secure encrypted email
Secure encrypted email (SEEMail) secures email traffic between participating New Zealand public sector agencies. It protects information classified as IN-CONFIDENCE, SENSITIVE or RESTRICTED.
SEEMail is used by public sector agencies who need secure, encrypted communication.
The system is a gateway-to-gateway encrypted email service where the email is encrypted and decrypted by the agency’s SEEMail server and not at the end device such as a user’s PC, laptop or mobile.
Participating SEEMail agencies utilise agency-accredited secure email gateways to sign and encrypt sensitive messages using Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension (S/MIME).
Dimension Data New Zealand provides the SEEMail PKI (certificate management and LDAP infrastructure) and is contracted under the one.govt agreement.
For participating agencies SEEMail ensures:
- all email traffic between agencies is secured
- no one outside the sending agency can alter messages
- the email comes from the sending agency as claimed
- all email traffic between agencies authenticates the sending agency
- appropriately marked email traffic cannot be inadvertently sent outside the SEEMail community.
Te Tari Taiwhenua Department of Internal Affairs
Adopting the service
Agencies don’t need to undertake a full procurement process. The lead agency has procured the product on behalf of all agencies and has signed a Lead Agency Agreement with the vendor.
Each agency must engage the services of an authorised SEEMail gateway provider.
How to get a contract
- Send a community membership request through the DIA SEEMail Member Portal
- Once authorised to join the SEEMail community, source SEEMail gateway services from an authorised gateway provider.
If you require further information, contact the DIA Product Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Agency Agreement summary
- Closed Supplier Panel
Lead Agency Agreement details
The Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) has contracted management of the SEEMail PKI (certificate management and LDAP infrastructure) to Dimension Data New Zealand and, through it, Liverton. Separation of duties is a contractual requirement.
Each SEEMail Participating Agency has a direct commercial agreement with their preferred authorised gateway provider.
The initial term was for 10 years to 2019 with one 2-year renewal option.
Authorised SEEMail gateway suppliers
- Liverton Security Limited
- Scientific Software & Systems (SSS-IT Security Specialists)
- M86 Security NZ Limited (Trustwave)
- Dimension Data New Zealand Limited
- Datacom Systems Limited
- Spark New Zealand Trading Limited
- Vodafone New Zealand Limited
- SMX Limited
Provides a gateway service for SEEMail and also provides the SEEMail PKI/Certificate Authority management service.